IHRSA, The International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (a trade association representing over 10,000 health clubs and fitness businesses) offers the following suggestions for choosing a health club:
- CONVENIENCE: The more convenient the club’s location is to either your home or your office, the more likely you will be to use it.
- STAFF: Is the staff is available to answer questions, or show you how to operate a piece of equipment? And ask whether the trainers and instructors are certified through a nationally recognized certification organization.
- EQUIPMENT: Equipment selection is important. Make sure you join the club that provides the equipment and services that will have the best chance of helping you reach YOUR fitness goals.
- DETAILS: Pay attention to the general atmosphere. How is the overall cleanliness? What kind of music is being played? Is the equipment well maintained? Is the décor appealing? What are the other members like? Is the staff friendly? Is this a place you would enjoy spending your time?
- TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Do not join online or over the phone, without paying the club a visit, or even better, getting in a trial workout. Many clubs offer guest passes or trial memberships for little to no cost.
- JOIN AN IHRSA CLUB: IHRSA member clubs have taken the extra step of joining their industry’s trade association in order to support industry standards and to access continuing education, services and training. Fitness Crossroad is a member of IHRSA.
Source: This information was taken from IRSA (International Health, Racket & Sportsclub Association). For the full version, or more on IHRSA, please visit their web site.